Timeline designed by E. Lynn McLarty & Cecile W. Baker
September 1, 2023
1823
Trinity Tidings 1987
1824
Depiction 2016 ELM
1825
No known photograph of first church
Fifty-two Years in Florida, John C. Ley, 1899
1828
Quarterly Conference Minutes April 5, 1828 – Trinity Archives
1830
Library of Congress Map Division
1831
Trinity Archives
1837
Florida Archives 1827 Original Plat Owners of Tallahassee North Addition
1840
Parsonage not built until 1860
Bell not in steeple until 1875
LCDB-F, p409 Mechanics Lien, LCDB-G, p131-132
1843
From Lee, Luccock & Dixon p. 635
Edward Howell Myers second son of Hezekiah and Mary Howell Myers
November 6. At the Fourth Quarterly Conference for the Tallahassee Station, with Edward H. Myers, Preacher in Charge, and Thomas C. Benning, Presiding Elder, a resolution passed unanimously, asking the Georgia Conference, at their next session, to pass a recommendation to be presented at the 1844 General Conference in New York to form a Florida Conference by dividing the Georgia Conference as follows: “Commencing at Fort Gaines on the Chattahoochee River and running a line directly to Albany on Flint River Rail Road (sic), thence down the Ochmulge (sic) and Altamaha Rivers to the Atlantic Ocean”.1844
Plaque Dedication at Trinity April 11, 2021 – Photo 2021 ELM
1845
History of Methodism in Georgia and Florida, George Gilman Smith, p132.
1845
Depiction ELM
April 2023
1845
Online site Waymarking.com
Online site Waymarking.com
1853
Photo 2015 ELM
First Mission Church
Trustees of the Tallahassee Methodist Church, South purchased two lots (281 and 282) in the North Addition to the City of Tallahassee. Located at the Northwest corner of McCarty (Park) and Bronough, this site became the St. James Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, our first mission church.1858
Trinity Archives
1858
Trinity Archives
1860
1885 Tallahassee Panorama Beck and Pauli map
LOC Map Division Modified 2023 ELM
1866
Depiction ELM April 2023
1867
December 6. Monticello
The annual Florida Conference found a much smaller number of attendees. The Conference had been split the year before. John C. Ley wrote in his Fifty-two Years in Florida that this session was the saddest and most dismal in its history. Friends for so long were now separated and would probably never again see each other in the flesh.
The Conference was reduced to four Districts—Tallahassee, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Ocala.
1867 continued
The mood was further disturbing because there were so many who could remember the optimism at the first session in 1845 when Florida was on the brink of becoming a State.
Now the talk was of the State’s being re-admitted to the Union. The future was dark and foreboding.
1868
Florida Archives 1827 Original Plat Owners of Tallahassee North Addition
1875
Trinity Archives
The Weekly Floridian December 14, 1875
1891
Trinity Archives
The Weekly Floridian June 11, 1892, p5 The Weekly Floridian March 18, 1893, p5 Column 1
1893
Trinity Archives
1908-1916
Original pen and ink by Marcia J. Jaillet Member, Immanuel Baptist Church
Mission Church South Boulevard Methodist
Trinity begins South Boulevard Church with Ira S. Patterson as Preacher. The property with house was purchased from Robert G. and Frances E. Gamble in March 1909. Minister T. J. Nixon began encouraging Boulevard membership to return to Trinity in 1914, saying “one organization of Methodists in Tallahassee is all that’s needed.”QCM April 21, 1914
1908-1913

Mission Church Magnolia Heights Methodist
Two lots for the church were given by John H. and Mary L. Humphress. After the complete destruction of the church due to a tornado, the Trustees of the Magnolia Heights Church sold the property back to John and Mary’s son Thomas S. Humphress for $60.LCDB NN, p546-547 LCDB TT, p500 QCM Special Session, May 20, 1908
1910
Trinity Archives
The Weekly True Democrat July 30, 1909, p4
1920
Groundbreaking for new Immanuel Baptist Church 1946.
This is best photo available of Trinity’s South Boulevard Church.
Original photo in possession of Rhona Mae Barineau Layfield
LCDB-2 p492-493; LCDB-41 p43
1927
Wesley Foundation Archives 1942-43 Scrapbook
Photo 2023 ELM
Dot Binger,
Becky and Austin E. Hollady November 1985
– Photo 1985 Dot Binger
Mission Church Wesley Foundation
Fostered by Trinity member Professor J. B. Game, and promulgated by the Trinity’s Men’s Club, city-wide volunteer workers built a temporary place of worship and recreation (60’ x 30’) on Jefferson Street for the FSCW Methodist Student Organization, later the Wesley Foundation. Former Trinity Associate Minister, Austin E. Hollady became Director of the Foundation in 1954 and ministered to the students for 34 years.1932
Florida Archives Memory Project #RC00943 Circa 1910
Graphic ELM 2021
4th QCM November 13, 1932 LCDB-24, p580-581
1936
Trinity Tidings February 1979
1939
Statistics from Florida Flame, Robert M. Temple, Jr. Pie Chart ELM
1939
At the same time of “Unification”, the term “Presiding Elder”, designating the preacher appointed by the bishop of the conference to conduct and supervise the work of the district, was changed to “District Superintendent”.
History of the Tallahassee District of the Methodist Church, Delp, 1965, p13.
1942-1945
Trinity Archives
Under the direction and enthusiasm of senior minister Rev. Dr. Jack Anderson, this project of mailing monthly newsletters to any servicemember was instigated.
W. Partridge, a Trinity layman and the owner of an insurance agency, conceived the newsletter idea and gathered material, wrote, and edited the monthly editions.
Rev. Claud M. Haynes became the senior minister in June 1944 and wholeheartedly continued the newsletter project.1942-1945
Trinity Archives
~1943
Trinity Archives
Trinity Archives
1944
Exterior west wall 1964 sanctuary – Photo 2023 Brett Ingram
1944
1956 Florida Memory #RK0418
Photo 2017 ELM
Mission Church Southside Methodist (later, The Rock, New Life, Ray of Hope)
With Trinity’s support, meetings in private homes began in 1937 by Woodville resident J.M. Mashburn. In February 1944 the church was formally organized with sixty charter members and the Reverend Moody Booth as the minister. One of the two chapels at Dale Mabry was purchased and moved to the lot in 1946.1945
Graphic ELM 2021
LCDB-68 p134-135
1947
Photo: 2023 ELM
Sanctuary Dedication March 21, 1976
Photo: Tallahassee Democrat August 24, 1947
The Basement Church 1947
Photo: Tallahassee Democrat May 7, 1950
Dedication 1950
Mission Church Tallahassee Heights Methodist
1943. The Shady Grove Bible School on the Jacksonville Highway was formed. In June 1947, the non-denominational congregation of fifty declared their intention to organize a Methodist Church. Trinity’s associate pastor Ralph B. Huston was assigned as the temporary minister, but the Florida Conference immediately appointed Rev. Warren W. Yates as the permanent minister.1948
Graphic 2021 ELM
LCDB-100 p63-65
1949
Trinity Archives
Trinity Archives
1952
1954 Original Sanctuary
1968 Present Sanctuary
Mission Church
St. Paul’s Methodist Trinity sponsored the formation of St. Paul’s and agreed to help the congregation financially for the next three years. There were 118 charter members. Initial services were held at the Woman’s Club, at Sealey School, and at the American Legion Post.1953
Florida Conference Souvenir Year Edition
1955
Photo ELM 2023
1956
Graphic 2021 ELM
LCDB 201, p 31-32
1957-1958
Graphic 2021 ELM
1958-1959
Trinity Archives
QCM May 20, 1958
The garage apartment on the old Capelouto property was renovated and became the Scout House.QCM May 20, 1958
The Inman and Proctor/Winchester parking lots were paved.QCM May 4, 1959
1960
Trinity Archives
Photo 2023 ELM
Mission Church
John Wesley Methodist April 3. Combining the efforts of Trinity and St. Paul’s Methodist Churches, John Wesley Methodist Church was founded. First meetings of the congregation were in the Hartsfield School cafeteria. Instrumental in representing Trinity were Sam Everett Teague, Jr., and Trinity’s Associate Minister Danny E. Morris. The Reverend Morris became the first minister at the newly formed church. Church consecration was February 2, 1964.1962
Trinity Archives
Glenn James Memorial Chapel
1962
Florida Memory Project #TD01245B
Florida Memory Project #TD01245A
Tallahassee Democrat Sunday August 28, 1962, p32
1963
Photo 2017 ELM
Mission Church Calvary Methodist
Due to the untiring efforts of the Rev. Orvis J. Stevenson to begin a Methodist church on the west side of town, a 200-fold congregation met temporarily at Caroline Brevard school. Selection of the site for the church coincided with the same location as the fatal crash on June 22, 1945, of Lt. James F. Cornish, a pilot in training at Dale Mabry. Almost 20 years later, and with family members in attendance, the pilot was memorialized at the consecration service of Calvary’s new sanctuary on June 20, 1965.1964
Payne H. Midyette, Sr. – Trinity Archives
Tallahassee Democrat Saturday, February 1, 1964
1964
Trinity Tidings and Worship Bulletin March 15, 1964
Trinity Tidings and Worship Bulletin March 22, 1964
1964
Florida memory Project #sl19782s
1965
Photo 2023 ELM
Mission Church Gray Memorial Methodist
Named after the Reverend William J. Gray, a Methodist minister and father to the Secretary of State Robert A. Gray, the first services were at a local bank and at Augusta Raa Middle School. The present sanctuary was consecrated February 20, 1966, with the steeple being added later that spring. The Reverend Norman E. Booth was the first minister.1968
Statistics from Florida Flame, Robert M. Temple, Jr. Pie Chart 2023 ELM
1968
“The Cross and Flame is a registered trademark, and the use is supervised by the
General Council on Finance and Administration (GCFA) of The United Methodist Church.
1969
Statistics from Florida Flame, Robert M. Temple, Jr. Pie Chart 2023 ELM
1969
Tallahassee Democrat December 21, 1973 p6
Photo 2023 ELM
Mission Church
Killearn Methodist August 17. The first service, led by the Reverend David L. Brazelton, met at Timberlane (later Gilchrist) Elementary School. The consecration service was December 2, 1973, in the new sanctuary at 2800 Shamrock South in Killearn Estates.1973
Trinity Preschool Archives
1974
Trinity Archives
Trinity Archives
1979
Photo 2023 ELM
LCDB 923, p2268-2273
1980
Trinity Archives
Trinity Tidings July 1980 LCDB-943, p78-80
1984
Trinity Archives
Trinity Tidings May 1984
1986
Photo 2023 ELM
LCDB 1226, p1939-1944
1987
Trinity Tidings June 1987
Tallahassee Democrat July 18, 1987 p21 and Trinity Archives
1987
Photo 2023 ELM
Mission Church Killearn Lakes Methodist
Founded in 1986 and chartered in 1987, the temporary meeting facility was in the Plantation Center on Thomasville Road. In 1992 the congregation moved into a multipurpose building at 8013 Deer Lake Road East. Located at the intersection of Deer Lake and Kinhega Drives, the present sanctuary was consecrated September 27, 1992. Killearn Lakes UMC took the new name of Deer Lake UMC in March 2009.1987
Photo 2023 ELM
1989
Graphic 2022 MCMC
Drone 2018 Viktor Billa
Lease Agreement between Trinity United Methodist Church and Leon County, March 17, 1987. Trinity Archives
1994
Trinity Archives
1994
Graphic 2021 ELM
LCDB-1779,p1456-1457 Trinity Tidings 1995
1995
Trinity Tidings February 1995

David Hortin welcoming the Bishop and the District Superintendent
1995
Photo 2023 ELM
LCDB 1839 p1167-1169
1997
Graphic 2023 ELM
1999
Trinity Archives
Trinity Archives
1999
Photo 2020 Viktor Billa
Photo 2023 ELM
2004
Trinity Archives
2009
Photo 2009 Linda H. Yates
Photo 2021 ELM
2019



2021
Photo 2021 ELM
Photo 2021 ELM
2020-2022
Photo: June 2021 ELM
Taking of the elements at home.
Tidings November 2021 p4
Tidings September 2020 p2
2022
Trinity Charge Conference
2023
Trinity Archives
Trinity Archives
2023
Photo 2023 E. Wayne Curry
Photo 2023 E. Wayne Curry
2024
Visiting Ministers to fill the pulpit on the second Sunday of each month, with the Bishop of the Florida Conference to deliver the message on the September 29th Celebration Sunday.
January Judi New
February Charlene Kammerer (ret. Bishop)
March Phil Roughton
April Tony Fotsch
May Beth Fogle-Miller
June Wayne Wiatt
July Wayne Curry
August Mark Caldwell
September Bob Gibbs
September 29 Bishop Tom Berlin
October Bishop Ken Carter (Bishop of the Western North Carolina Conference)
November Clarke Campbell-Evans
December John Willis
2024
Trinity Archives